Thursday, August 24, 2006

Attention Crackberry Addicts: Nasty Bug in Blackberry Desktop / Intellisync

I recently discovered a really nasty bug in the Blackberry Desktop/Intellisync (version 4.1.1.9, dated February 2006) that you might want to be aware of. A couple of times over the past six months, Intellisync has crashed during calendar sync, leaving absolutely no trace as to why it crashed and taking Outlook down with it for good measure. About six months ago I was able to work around the problem after many hours of tinkering by figuring out approximately which range of calendar entries was causing the problem and “brute-forcing” a solution by deleting all calendar entries around the problem date.

The problem occurred again today, and fortunately I was able to remember a particular change that I made to my calendar, which as it turns out, was the cause of the problem. I had pasted a graphic image (JPG) (a map, actually) into the calendar entry notes page, after which Intellisync crashed over and over again, repeatedly on the same calendar entry (which of course was only shown as 'now reading calendar entry xxx').

After remembering that I had created the calendar entry with the image in it earlier today, I decided to remove the image from the notes page and re-sync--and wha-la! Everything worked OK again.

So—don’t paste graphics into your calendar notes!

For the record, I have a T-Mobile Blackberry 7105t with the latest OS and Desktop Sync patches installed.

No comments: